Thus far, all of HPNET's exchanges have emerged from its annual gatherings, a 4-day event that facilitates micro hydro practitioners from 12+ countries to find ways to alleviate knowledge gaps. The gatherings also focus on evolving HPNET's structure and processes to increase the network's impact at the field level. The 2015 gathering led to HPNET 2016's multi-lateral activities.
The 3rd Annual Gathering was held in November 22 - 25, 2016, in Kathmandu, Nepal, a region long advanced in small-scale hydropower. In addition to learning from Nepal's progess, members chose Nepal for the 2016 gathering as a show of solidarity and support for Nepal's post-earthquake rehabilitation. The following event objectives were met:
- Develop productive relationships and strategy-building among HPNET members, toward country-specific objectives for 2017.
- Provide in-person working time for HPNET's Working Groups (on priorities for technology, policy, and socio-environment development).
- Identify limitations and solutions for improved operations and sustainability of HPNET for the next 3-5 years.
- Provide an opportunity for HPNET members to better understand the sector in Nepal, including field visits and meeting fabricators and experts.
- Provide an opportunity for HPNET members to exchange with international development agencies and alliances.